lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Generalize Tutorial for multiple host languages
Date Sun, 07 Nov 2010 19:19:00 GMT
Marvin Humphrey wrote on 11/5/10 4:40 PM:
> On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 10:03:47AM -0700, Nathan Kurz wrote:
>> I was about to write the same thing as Peter just did: don't generalize a
>> tutorial, rather provide a native version per language with a many real
>> world examples as possible.  It's OK if you also want to have a meta
>> tutorial as a template guide for developers (although maybe this is the same
>> as the C guide) but don't try to make a single doc that covers both C and
>> Ruby.
>
> OK, I can work with this.
>
> I have misgivings about the violation of DRY and the increase in maintenance
> burden; if Lucy is successful, we will add more bindings and each binding will
> cost more as a result of the branching we're choosing to initiate now.  I
> predict that attempting to keep a multiple tutorials up-to-date is going to
> introduce documentation bugs in the future.

If Lucy is successful, it will be in part because we have added many more
developers and users to our community, thus sharing the maintenance burden.

The approach I have taken with libswish3 is to make the example code part of the
test suite, so that if the API changes, I have to keep the example(s) up to date
with it. We could do something similar with the tutorial apps.