lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Parallel compilation
Date Thu, 18 Nov 2010 18:24:14 GMT
On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 07:51:43AM -0500, Robert Muir wrote:
> couldnt you instead just split all the .c files into 4 pieces, and
> only have 4 children up front?

I've reworked the patch to incorporate the improvements that have come out of
this thread, and I've attached it to a new issue:
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCY-127>.

However, I think that instead of applying this patch, we may want to
prioritize transparency and portability over build speed and work up an
alternative patch that begins a transition to Makefiles.  It's nice to knock
30 seconds off the build time (at the cost of some minor complexity), but IMO
it's more important to move towards a build system that everyone can use and
understand.

Marvin Humphrey