lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject [lucy-dev] Project branding requirements
Date Tue, 26 Oct 2010 23:11:11 GMT
Greets,

Apache has published a new set of project branding requirements for all PMCs
to implement.  This is in addition to the Incubator's requirements for Podling
branding, websites, etc.

  * http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs.html
  * http://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.html
  * http://incubator.apache.org/guides/sites.html

The primary materials we must review are the website and the project
documentation.  However, the spirit of these branding requirements applies at
any point where we market our product, describe it, define it, distill it,
etc. -- complying with them will be an ongoing task, and we will have to
develop good habits.  (Do those official T-shirts say "Apache Lucy™" rather
than just "Lucy"?)

The website should already meet the Incubator guidelines, as it was set up
with those in mind.  However, it will need modifications to conform to the new
Apache guidelines.

With regards to the code base, it has one major deficiency at present: it's
still called "KinoSearch" rather than "Lucy".  :)  Once that's taken care of,
we should inspect, off the top of my head, the following files:

   perl/README
   perl/buildlib/Lucy/Build.pm
   perl/Build.PL
   perl/lib/Lucy.pod
   perl/lib/Lucy/Docs/Cookbook.pod
   perl/lib/Lucy/Docs/Tutorial.pod
   clownfish/lib/Clownfish.pod
   charmonizer/README

Basically, we should review all of the following:

  * Any introductory documentation.
  * Any README or INSTALL document.
  * Any project description metadata.
  * Any build file that generates project description metadata.

I don't think we need to worry about being 100% consistent in every last nook
and cranny, but we should at least avoid doing things which directly
contradict the guidelines.  For instance, if I understand correctly, in order
to establish an "Apache Lucy" trademark, we need to attach it to a real
software product with a specific function -- not a "development effort" as the
website currently describes us.

Marvin Humphrey