lucy-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] ASL headers, etc.
Date Wed, 20 Oct 2010 01:18:56 GMT
On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 01:40:40PM -0700, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> The core/ and charmonizer/ directories have now been taken care of, pending
> the application of a couple patches.

Said patches have been applied, so core/ and charmonizer/ are done.
 
> Next up will be clownfish/, perl/buildlib, and perl/lib/.

These have now all been taken care of.  In addition, almost all of perl/ is
done.  The one remaining item to deal with within perl/ is the sample html
presentation of the US Constitution under perl/sample/us_constitution/.

  * None of the test files under perl/t/ had any copyright notices that needed
    to be removed.  Adding the ASL2 license header to all files was
    straightforward.  Dozens of these files are tiny stubs which might not
    need the header -- but it's not a problem if they have it, so I erred on
    the side of adding it.
  * The perl/xs/ directory contained a number of .c/.h files; removing the
    existing copyright/licensing notices and adding the ASL2 header to these
    files was straightforward.
  * The perl/sample/ directory contained two .pm files which needed the old
    copyright/license notices removed and the ASL2 headers added.  In
    addition, there were two sample scripts, indexer.pl and search.cgi, which
    did not have any copyright/licensing info; I added the ASL2 headers to
    these.
  * The now-redundant file perl/ApacheLicense2.0.txt has been deleted.
  * Assorted build files within perl/ needed to be treated.  Build.PL had its
    copyright/licensing info stripped; I then added the ASL2 header to
    Build.PL, the stub Makefile.PL, and MANIFEST.SKIP.
  * Build.PL contains a programmatic licensing notice -- the "license"
    argument to the KinoSearch::Build constructor.  I changed this from "perl"
    to "apache", which indicates the Apache 2.0 license (as opposed to the
    value "apache_1_1").  The purpose of this argument is to allow automated
    tools to figure out the license for the distribution tarball (it gets
    recorded in META.yml) so that e.g. search.cpan.org can display the license
    in its auto-generated documentation.  For more info, see
    <http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?Module%3A%3ABuild%3A%3AAPI#license>.

The last group of files within perl/ directory is perl/sample/us_constitution.
The text of the US Constitution is public domain; the HTML markup in these
files is original.  There is also one CSS file which is unambiguously
original.

My inclination is to punt on the HTML files and just leave the ASL2 header out
of them, add the header to the CSS file, and call it a day.

After that, there remain only 12 files within the devel/ directory to attend
to before the relicensing notifications are complete. The only wrinkle within
devel/ is that devel/bin/smoke.pl carries a copyright notice by Peter Karman,
so we'll strip that in a separate commit.  Aside from that, it's just a matter
of removing existing copyright/license notice where they exist and adding the
ASL2 header to all files except for devel/benchmarks/README.txt.

Marvin Humphrey


Mime
View raw message