lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject [lucy-dev] Grant progress
Date Thu, 30 Sep 2010 16:28:31 GMT
Greets,

The software grant for the KinoSearch codebase is moving forward:

    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCY-122

    * The snapshot tarball has been attached to JIRA.
    * A modified SGA form has been prepared as per option 2 of
      <http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html#notes>.
    * Email has been sent out to all parties that we need to participate in
      the grant requesting that they print, sign and send in the SGA.

One contributor who has faxed in his form already has asked for confirmation
that it was received.  I'd also like to be able to find out who has sent in
forms so that I can thank those who have sent them and, after a week has
passed, follow up with those whose forms are still missing.  Is it possible
for for a Member of the ASF (as all our Mentors are) to peer into the process
and see such information?  According to the IP Clearance form, it should be
possible to see the grant in a "grants.txt" file:

    http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.html

    Receipt of the software grant form must be acknowledged by an Officer of the
    ASF by recording in the correct file (grants.txt for a License Grant or
    cclas.txt for a Corporate CLA). In most normal circumstances, the officer
    should be the ASF Secretary, who must be provided a copy of the grant or CCLA
    in any case (if not originally sent or Emailed to him).

However, that may only refer to acknowledgment on completion, and it's not
clear whether there is a way of monitoring the status of a multi-party grant
in progress.

Also, perhaps we should email secretary@a.o a heads-up regarding the grant?
As of now, the Secretary has started receiving documents, but it may not be
clear what they are -- the form does not mention "Lucy".  Nevertheless, I
believe that either Sam Ruby or Craig Russell is the Secretary and they are at
least both aware of "KinoSearch" and its relation to the Lucy podling.

This blog post from Sam Ruby about the Apache Secretary workflow seems like it
might be of interest:

    http://intertwingly.net/blog/2010/01/28/Secretary-Workflow

Marvin Humphrey