lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for August 2010 (general@incubator.apache.org)
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2010 17:06:44 GMT
On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 11:28:10PM -0700, Chris Hostetter wrote:
> : OK, I've entered our report for August.
> :
> :   http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/August2010#Lucy
>
> I went ahead and signed off because nothing in the report looks wrong to
> me, but i was a little suprised by something i thought would be in the
> report...
>
> Marvin: didn't you mention a little while back that you had started on
> the IP Clearance paperwork for the existing KinoSearch code base?
> Shouldn't that be a line item (either as a "making progress" bullet point,
> or as a "need assistence" bullet point)

I have not started the formal paperwork.  What I have been doing is assembling
materials and the list of people who must participate in the grant.  This is
something of an involved process, since KinoSearch is large and has been around
a while.  Prior to the current Subversion repository, it had lived in four
different CVS repositories, the first of which also housed proprietary data
for my employer at the time.  One of the things I've been doing is migrating
all of the KinoSearch pre-history into a single Subversion repository to
make browsing easier.

On some level, it would make more sense to start with the provenance audit and
only send out the paperwork after it is finished.  That way, if during the
provenance effort an attribution irregularity or surprise presents itself, it
won't be necessary to go back to everyone for another round.  For instance,
while going over the history, I've realized that since the current
KinoSearch::Util::SortExternal module began life as a stripped down version of
my CPAN module Sort::External, Sort::External's history has to be checked to
see if anyone else needs to be included in the grant, as the past contributors
to that module wouldn't necessarily have been listed in the KinoSearch version
control logs or issue tracker.  It would be most inconvenient to find that
someone had been left out after the fact.

However, without a grant, I don't think we can import a snapshot into Apache's
repository.  So it's a bit of a catch-22.

Anybody have pointers to mailing list archives where complex provenance
efforts like this one were undertaken?

Marvin Humphrey