lucy-dev mailing list archives

From "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: Lucy JIRA perms/Admin
Date Sun, 25 Jul 2010 20:51:29 GMT
Hi Marvin,

Comments below:

>> Yep, but let's be specific. What do you think should be LUCY Jira issues
>> versus INFRA issues?
>
> I care about getting the individual sub-issues right, and I care about
> updating the checklist at <http://incubator.apache.org/projects/lucy.html>.  I
> don't have strong opinions about whether or where we perform additional
> omnibus tracking.  If others do, though, I'm happy to dot a few extra i's and
> cross a few extra t's.

I'm not proposing extra tracking, I'm just letting you know what I
understand to be a requirement of getting things done, watching as an
Incubator mentor. If you have some magic way to get INFRA to take care of
things for you without JIRA, by all means, but I would prefer items being
tracked in JIRA, for reporting purposes (makes it easier when I sign off on
podling reports on the wiki).

>> existing subscriptions to new lists). I'd imagine this also includes
>> decommissioning of the old Lucene M/Ls for Lucy as they shouldn't be needed
>> any longer and per the Incubator resolution for Lucy, the Lucene PMC is no
>> longer cognizant over.
>
> When Infra "migrates" mailing lists, it looks like they put forwards in place
> on the old lists.

Right, I know this, but I wouldn't assume, I'd make it explicit. All I'm
asking is that we be explicit and not assume "they'll know."

>> 2. SVN (did Hoss take care of this already?)
>
> It's not done until we all have commit access and everything in the existing
> repository under lucene/lucy has moved over.  IIUC, we're waiting for someone
> within the Incubator with sufficient karma to take certain actions.  For now
> I'm relying on Hoss to keep that ball rolling.

Right, I get this too.  My comment was more "did Hoss have enough karma to
do it?" Seems like no, and we're still waiting at this point, which is fine.

>> 3. Wiki (needs to move to incubator space?)
>
> I don't think it will have to move, though we may need to insert the
> incubation disclaimer on the front page.  My preference is that it stay where
> it is.

Hmm, OK, sounds fine to me. It's already at it's pseudo-TLP place here [1]
anyways, so +1.

> I have to step out right now, but full rationale will follow in another mail.

No need! It's fine, and no need for more time spent writing instead of
coding :)

>> 4. Lucy UNIX groups under Incubator karma, removal of Lucy Lucene karma
>> rules (I think Hoss took care of this already)
>
> I think orderly shutdown of the existing Lucy Lucene subproject website, svn,
> etc needs to wait until everything is set up under incubator.

Nope, it's actually part of setting stuff up in the Incubator. Note the TIKA
issue that you referenced. It was a sub-task and separate issue.

>>> Having said that, where we file it is an implementation detail I don't have
>>> strong opinions about.  Please go ahead and open a ticket wherever you see
>>> fit.
>>
>> So, to me it looks like we need INFRA help with #1 and maybe #3, right? If
>> so, I'll handle filing the issues.
>
> Maybe just #1, which I've already claimed -- let's not duplicate. :)

I'm not proposing too. But I'm proposing rather than one Death-star like
issue to rule them all, how about some separate traceable activities that
you can farm out and not be the single point of failure on?

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist