lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Wiki non-migration
Date Fri, 30 Jul 2010 21:51:25 GMT
On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 09:10:25PM +0100, Upayavira wrote:

> Have you created an AdminGroup page and locked that down with an ACL?

I just tried to create an AdminGroup page with the following directive:

    #acl MarvinHumphrey:read,write All:read

The effort failed with this message:

    You can't change ACLs on this page since you have no admin rights on it!

> > >From what I can tell, granting a user admin rights to the whole wiki needs to
> > be done in wikiconfig.py:
> >
> >     http://wiki.apache.org/lucy/HelpOnConfiguration#Overview_of_configuration_options
>
> You're probably right. If we want to make that change, I can do it.
>
> > It seems to me that like JIRA admin karma, MoinMoin wiki-wide admin karma
> > ought to be restricted to PMC members.  However, I suspect we have to ask
> > Infra to edit that file for us.  Maybe it's possible for them to add
> > a "PMCMembers" or "AdminGroup" group and then for us to edit that group?
>
> Most folks don't need admin rights in that way. If you do, then maybe
> you'd be better off having a parallel wiki for that content.

The goal here is for PMC members to be able to lock down certain individual
pages so that only contributors with CLAs on file can edit their content, per
the recommendation at
<http://incubator.apache.org/guides/sites.html#create-website-using-wiki>.
That way, if we want to distribute that content in the future under ASL2, we
can.

We don't need to lock down the whole wiki -- just individual pages.

In theory, we could go back to Infra every time that a new PMC member wants
such karma.  But what I was thinking was that infra could grant admin
privileges to AdminGroup once; then we could manage membership in AdminGroup
ourselves by editing the content of <http://wiki.apache.org/lucy/AdminGroup>.

However, I'm speculating about this having only perused the documentation.
I'm not sure I've got the mechanism exactly right.

> > Oo, I think this is a good idea:
> >
> >     https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-1029
> >
> >     We'd prefer change emails to go to ivy-commits@incubator
>
> Assuming no-one will object, I have changed lucy wiki diffs to go to
> lucy-commits instead. Let me know if I should undo it.

Sweet, thanks!

Marvin Humphrey