lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Lucy Wiki] Update of "LucyIncubatorProposal" by MarvinHumphrey
Date Wed, 07 Jul 2010 21:47:50 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Lucy Wiki" for change notification.

The "LucyIncubatorProposal" page has been changed by MarvinHumphrey.
The comment on this change is: Apply Hoss's changes: reword Preface and the last paragraph
of Background, add more links to existing Lucy assets under Documentation..
http://wiki.apache.org/lucy/LucyIncubatorProposal?action=diff&rev1=43&rev2=44

  For reference, see the original template at [[http://incubator.apache.org/guides/proposal.html]]

  == Preface ==
- Lucy is a sub-project which is being spun off from the Lucene TLP but is not yet ready for
graduation.  We propose to address certain needs of the project by assimilating the !KinoSearch
codebase.
+ Lucy is a sub-project which is being spun off from the Lucene TLP but is not yet ready for
graduation.  We propose to address certain needs of the project by transitioning to an Incubator
Podling, and assimilating the Kino``Search codebase.
+

  == Abstract ==
  Lucy will be a loose port of the Lucene search engine library, written in C and targeted
at dynamic language users.
@@ -19, +20 @@

  To implement the Lucene PMC's recommendations and get to a release as quickly as possible,
the Lucy community proposes to assimilate the !KinoSearch codebase, which has been retrofitted
to use Lucy's core.  Lucy still lacks a number of important indexing and search classes; we
wish to flesh these out via IP clearance work rather than software development.

- Since Lucy cannot remain as a sub-project of Lucene under the current ASF policy of breaking
up "umbrella projects", it is not appropriate for the software grant to take place within
the context of the Lucene TLP.  Instead, we advocate that the software grant happen within
the context of the Incubator, and that a Lucy podling and PPMC be established which will ultimately
take responsibility for the codebase.
+ Because Lucene is working to move away from being an "umbrella project", a long term goal
of the Lucy project is to graduate to an ASF TLP.  With that in mind, it seems more appropriate
for the Kino``Search software grant to take place within the context of the Incubator, and
that a Lucy podling and PPMC be established which will ultimately take responsibility for
the codebase.
+

  == Rationale ==
  There is great hunger for a search engine library in the mode of Lucene which is accessible
from various dynamic languages, and for one accessible from pure C.  Individuals naturally
wish to code in their language of choice.  Organizations which do not have significant Java
expertise may not want to support Java strictly for the sake of running a Lucene installation.
 Developers may want to take advantage of C's interoperability and fine-grained control.
Lucy will meet all these demands.
@@ -81, +83 @@

  By rebooting the project with a working codebase, we expect to avoid the trap that ensnared
Lucy's first incarnation: we will release early, release often, accumulate users, nurture
contributors, and grow our community.

  == Documentation ==
+
+  * Current Lucy website: [[http://lucene.apache.org/lucy/]]