lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Lucy Wiki] Update of "LucyIncubatorProposal" by MarvinHumphrey
Date Sat, 03 Jul 2010 18:57:48 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Lucy Wiki" for change notification.

The "LucyIncubatorProposal" page has been changed by MarvinHumphrey.
The comment on this change is: Make explicit mention of ASF "umbrella project" policy..
http://wiki.apache.org/lucy/LucyIncubatorProposal?action=diff&rev1=36&rev2=37

  For reference, see the original template at [http://incubator.apache.org/guides/proposal.html]

  == Preface ==
- Lucy is a sub-project which is being spun off from the Lucene TLP but is not yet ready for
graduation.  We propose to address certain needs of the project by assimilating the KinoSearch
codebase, and to enter the Incubator on a top-level-project track.
+ Lucy is a sub-project which is being spun off from the Lucene TLP but is not yet ready for
graduation.  We propose to address certain needs of the project by assimilating the KinoSearch
codebase.

  == Abstract ==
  Lucy will be a loose port of the Lucene search engine library, written in C and targeted
at dynamic language users.
@@ -19, +19 @@

  To implement the Lucene PMC's recommendations and get to a release as quickly as possible,
the Lucy community proposes to assimilate the KinoSearch codebase, which has been retrofitted
to use Lucy's core.  Lucy still lacks a number of important indexing and search classes; we
wish to flesh these out via IP clearance work rather than software development.

- Since the Lucene PMC will not be responsible for Lucy much longer, it is more appropriate
for the software grant to take place within the context of the Incubator than the Lucene TLP.
 As none of our current members have Apache PMC experience, we also seek to take advantage
of the Incubator environment to prepare ourselves for responsible self-governance.
+ Since Lucy cannot remain as a sub-project of Lucene under the current ASF policy of breaking
up "umbrella projects", it is not appropriate for the software grant to take place within
the context of the Lucene TLP.  Instead, we advocate that the software grant happen within
the context of the Incubator, and that a Lucy podling and PPMC be established which will ultimately
take responsibility for the codebase.

  == Rationale ==
  There is great hunger for a search engine library in the mode of Lucene which is accessible
from various dynamic languages, and for one accessible from pure C.  Individuals naturally
wish to code in their language of choice.  Organizations which do not have significant Java
expertise may not want to support Java strictly for the sake of running a Lucene installation.
 Developers may want to take advantage of C's interoperability and fine-grained control.
Lucy will meet all these demands.
@@ -57, +57 @@

  All initial committers have been associated with the project for several years across multiple
jobs.  However, at this time, the project would probably not survive the departure of Marvin
Humphrey, so there is a risk of being orphaned.  Marvin has no plans to leave, but we have
been actively working to disperse his knowledge of the code base and administrative responsibilities
in order to make him dispensable.  Having staggered badly after Dave Balmain's departure,
we are keenly aware of this vulnerability and highly motivated to eliminate it.

  === Inexperience with Open Source ===
- The initial committers have all have significant experience with open source development,
and include one present Apache committer.  We recognize that we lack PMC experience and seek
to address that deficiency by going through the Incubator.  In retrospect, Marvin wishes that
Lucy had gone through the Incubator during its first inception.
+ The initial committers have all have significant experience with open source development,
and include one present Apache committer.  We recognize that we lack PMC experience and seek
to address that deficiency by using the Incubator environment to educate ourselves and prepare
for responsible self-governance.  In retrospect, Marvin wishes that Lucy had gone through
the Incubator during its first inception.

  === Homogenous Developers ===
  Our community is geographically dispersed, with members in San Diego, Oakland, and Minneapolis.
 We all work for different organizations.