lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Lucy Wiki] Update of "LucyIncubatorProposal" by MarvinHumphrey
Date Fri, 02 Jul 2010 17:23:05 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Lucy Wiki" for change notification.

The "LucyIncubatorProposal" page has been changed by MarvinHumphrey.
The comment on this change is: Reduce usage of the word "community" and make a few other minor
changes..
http://wiki.apache.org/lucy/LucyIncubatorProposal?action=diff&rev1=34&rev2=35

  We look forward to continuing to operate as a meritocracy under the established traditions
and rules of the ASF.

  === Community ===
- Lucy's most active participants of late have been drawn from the KinoSearch and Lucene communities.
 Having been focused on features and technical goals for a long time, we are considerably
overdue for a stable release, and anticipate rapid community growth in its wake.
+ Lucy's most active participants of late have been drawn from the KinoSearch and Lucene communities.
 Having been focused on features and technical goals for a long time, we are considerably
overdue for a stable release, and anticipate rapid growth in its wake.

  === Core Developers ===
-  * Marvin Humphrey is the project founder of KinoSearch, and co-founded the existing Lucy
subproject.  He is presently employed by Eventful, Inc.
+  * Marvin Humphrey is the project founder of KinoSearch, and co-founded the existing Lucy
sub-project.  He is presently employed by Eventful, Inc.
   * Peter Karman has contributed to several open source projects since 2001, including being
a committer at http://swish-e.org/ (a search engine), http://code.google.com/p/rose/ (an ORM)
and http://catalyst.perl.org/ (web framework).  He is employed by American Public Media.
   * Nathan Kurz has participated in numerous open source projects and has been a KinoSearch
committer since 2007.  He is currently Chief Flavor Engineer of Scream Sorbet, and writes
software in his copious free time.

  === Alignment ===
  One Apache value which is particularly cherished by the Lucy community is codebase transparency.
 We have developed institutions which enable us to measure and maximize usability (see [http://wiki.apache.org/lucy/BrainLog]),
and we feel strongly that the bindings for Lucy must present APIs and documentation which
are idiomatic to the host language culture so that end users can consume our work as easily
as possible.

- The controlled competition of meritocratic community development is also very important
to us.  There has been substantial cross-pollination of ideas between the Lucene and Lucy
communities, yielding considerable benefits for both projects.  The Lucy developers envision
that our host-language sub-communities will approach using and extending the library in distinct
ways; we hope to harness the creative tension between them to drive innovation, building productive
relationships akin to the one that Lucene and Lucy have today.
+ The controlled competition of meritocratic community development is also very important
to us.  There has been substantial cross-pollination of ideas between Lucene and Lucy, yielding
considerable benefits for both projects.  The Lucy developers envision that our host-language
sub-communities will approach using and extending the library in distinct ways; we hope to
harness the creative tension between them to drive innovation, building productive relationships
akin to the one that Lucene and Lucy have today.

  A third priority of ours is to be bound by existing Apache institutions, for the protection
of all our stakeholders.