lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Lucy Wiki] Update of "LucyIncubatorProposal" by MarvinHumphrey
Date Fri, 02 Jul 2010 15:09:54 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Lucy Wiki" for change notification.

The "LucyIncubatorProposal" page has been changed by MarvinHumphrey.
The comment on this change is: Change Rationale to mention C's interoperability, fine-grained
control..
http://wiki.apache.org/lucy/LucyIncubatorProposal?action=diff&rev1=33&rev2=34

  Since the Lucene PMC will not be responsible for Lucy much longer, it is more appropriate
for the software grant to take place within the context of the Incubator than the Lucene TLP.
 As none of our current members have Apache PMC experience, we also seek to take advantage
of the Incubator environment to prepare ourselves for responsible self-governance.

  == Rationale ==
- There is great hunger for a search engine library in the mode of Lucene which is accessible
from various dynamic languages, and for one accessible from pure C.  Individuals naturally
wish to code in their language of choice.  Organizations which do not have significant Java
expertise may not want to support Java strictly for the sake of running a Lucene installation.
 Native applications may be launched much more quickly than JVMs.  Lucy will meet all these
demands.
+ There is great hunger for a search engine library in the mode of Lucene which is accessible
from various dynamic languages, and for one accessible from pure C.  Individuals naturally
wish to code in their language of choice.  Organizations which do not have significant Java
expertise may not want to support Java strictly for the sake of running a Lucene installation.
 Developers may want to take advantage of C's interoperability and fine-grained control.
Lucy will meet all these demands.

  Apache is a natural home for our project given the way it has always operated: user-driven
innovation, security as a requirement, lively and amiable mailing list discussions, strength
through diversity, and so on.  We feel comfortable here, and we believe that we will become
exemplary Apache citizens.