lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Lucy Wiki] Update of "LucyIncubatorProposal" by MarvinHumphrey
Date Fri, 02 Jul 2010 02:45:18 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Lucy Wiki" for change notification.

The "LucyIncubatorProposal" page has been changed by MarvinHumphrey.
The comment on this change is: Revise Community..
http://wiki.apache.org/lucy/LucyIncubatorProposal?action=diff&rev1=32&rev2=33

  == Rationale ==
  There is great hunger for a search engine library in the mode of Lucene which is accessible
from various dynamic languages, and for one accessible from pure C.  Individuals naturally
wish to code in their language of choice.  Organizations which do not have significant Java
expertise may not want to support Java strictly for the sake of running a Lucene installation.
 Native applications may be launched much more quickly than JVMs.  Lucy will meet all these
demands.

- Apache is a natural home for our project given the way it has always operated: user-driven
innovation, security as a requirement, lively and amiable mailing list discussions, strength
through diversity, and so on.  We feel comfortable here, and we believe that we will become
an exemplary Apache project.
+ Apache is a natural home for our project given the way it has always operated: user-driven
innovation, security as a requirement, lively and amiable mailing list discussions, strength
through diversity, and so on.  We feel comfortable here, and we believe that we will become
exemplary Apache citizens.

  == Initial Goals ==
   * Make a 1.0 stable release as quickly as possible.
@@ -38, +38 @@

  We look forward to continuing to operate as a meritocracy under the established traditions
and rules of the ASF.

  === Community ===
+ Lucy's most active participants of late have been drawn from the KinoSearch and Lucene communities.
 Having been focused on features and technical goals for a long time, we are considerably
overdue for a stable release, and anticipate rapid community growth in its wake.
- Lucy currently has a small community, most members of which originated in the KinoSearch
community.
-
- Lucy's chief challenge is growing its community, which it hopes to achieve through efforts
in two areas: reaching a 1.0 release, and actively reaching out to its target audience, users
and developers in the dynamic language communities who want a fast, scalable full-text search
solution in their native language.

  === Core Developers ===
   * Marvin Humphrey is the project founder of KinoSearch, and co-founded the existing Lucy
subproject.  He is presently employed by Eventful, Inc.