lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com>
Subject Re: [Lucy] Incubator or out?
Date Sun, 27 Jun 2010 03:17:03 GMT
Marvin Humphrey wrote on 6/26/10 9:45 PM:
> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 04:03:25PM -0500, Peter Karman wrote:
>> One thing that should attract more people is if we can get more than just Perl
>> bindings implemented using Lucy. I'm thinking C, PHP, Ruby, Python, etc. To my
>> knowledge, none of those languages have an IR library on the level of Lucy
>> (which is why Lucy started), and if we can get a stable core to 1.0, we can
>> attract capable developers from some of those communities.
>
> For what it's worth, writing bindings is a problem space I'm intensely
> interested in.  If we can bring my other responsibilities down to a dull roar,
> I'll be addressing some of these.  Ruby first.

Cool. I was actually gravitating toward C and PHP myself.

> Not that I would grouch if someone else volunteers!

heh.

>> It might even be worth seeing if we could leverage SWIG.
>
> The thing I don't like about SWIG for Perl at least is that it doesn't yield
> idiomatic interfaces.  For Perl, I strongly prefer labeled parameters over
> positional arguments when there are two or more arguments to a method, and
> I've gone to considerable lengths to support labeled params with
> Clownfish::Binding::Perl.

agreed on all counts. Xapian is an example where they use SWIG for everything
*except* Perl bindings, for (what I assume are) similar reasons.

I was mostly thinking that it might be an interesting exercise to see if SWIG
could get us partway toward any one (or more) language implementations. Best,
IME, to truly make idiomatically-sensitive bindings though. It's gotta make new
users feel more at home when they first take Lucy-in-HostLanguageX for a spin.

>     $lowerCamelCase =~ s/^(.)/lc($1)/e;

$lowerCamelCase = lcfirst( $lowerCamelCase );
# or even
$lowerCamelCase = "\l$lowerCamelCase";

but now I'm just showing off. ;)

> AFAIK, SWIG can't do that.

you're probably right.

> Nevertheless, it would be a Good Thing if someone starts hacking with SWIG to
> provide support for a language that otherwise wouldn't be there.  "Progress
> not perfection", as Mike McCandless likes to say.

yes.

> If that interests you, it would be great if you would familiarize yourself
> with Apache institutions.  Consider subscribing to general@incubator:

done.

> Browse through the documentation at
> <http://www.apache.org/dev/>, though if you're like me, it will take a while
> to sink in.  And if you can spare a moment or two over the next week, let's
> collaborate on an Incubator proposal via the Lucy wiki.  (; I know this is a
> busy time -- life happens! ;)

I'll make some time.

> I told the Lucene PMC that we would present a plan for Lucy's graduation to
> general@lucene by this upcoming Friday, July 2, based on the Incubator
> proposal template.  Instead, I think we should provide them with a draft of an
> actual incubator proposal along with a short custom-tailored justification.

Sounds sane.

> The page is up at <http://wiki.apache.org/lucy/LucyIncubatorProposal>.  The
> original template document is at
> <http://incubator.apache.org/guides/proposal.html>; it's a better read because