lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Lucy Wiki] Update of "LucyIncubatorProposal" by MarvinHumphrey
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2010 19:17:17 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Lucy Wiki" for change notification.

The "LucyIncubatorProposal" page has been changed by MarvinHumphrey.
The comment on this change is: Flesh out "External Dependencies".  Change "lucy-perl-users"
mailing list request to "lucy-users".  Eliminate some boilerplate. Change wiki request wording
slightly..
http://wiki.apache.org/lucy/LucyIncubatorProposal?action=diff&rev1=15&rev2=16

  Complex proposals (typically involving multiple code bases) may find it useful to draw up
an initial plan for the submission of the code here. Demonstrate that the proposal is practical.
Example (Heraldry): * The OpenID specification and content on openid.net from Brad Fitzpatrick
of Six Apart, Ltd. and David Recordon of VeriSign, Inc. * The domains openid.net and yadis.org
from Brad Fitzpatrick of Six Apart, Ltd. and Johannes Ernst of NetMesh, Inc. * OpenID libraries
in Python, Ruby, Perl, PHP, and C# from JanRain, Inc. ... * Yadis conformance test suite from
NetMesh and VeriSign, Inc. We will also be soliciting contributions of further plugins and
patches to various pieces of Open Source software.

  == External Dependencies ==
- External dependencies for the initial source is important. Only some external dependencies
are allowed by Apache policy. These restrictions are (to some extent) initially relaxed for
projects under incubation.
+ The Perl bindings for KinoSearch depend on a few CPAN modules which do not have Apache-compatible
licenses.  It will be possible to address all of these during incubation:

- If the initial source has dependencies which would prevent graduation then this is the right
place to indicate how these issues will be resolved. Example (CeltiXfire): The dependencies
all have Apache compatible licenses. These include BSD, CDDL, CPL, MPL and MIT licensed dependencies.
+  * JSON::XS can be eliminated by writing our own JSON parser.
+  * Lingua::Stem::Snowball and Lingua::StopWords are both wrappers around Snowball, which
is itself BSD licensed.  We can eliminate them by writing our own wrappers and bundling the
Snowball files.
+  * The build currently requires Parse::RecDescent.  However, the compilation stage which
requires Parse::RecDescent can be moved up into release preparation, so it can be eliminate
as an end-user dependency.

+ The build also requires modules which are now bundled with core Perl as of 5.10.0 (Module::Build,
ExtUtils::CBuilder), but were not with Perl 5.8.x.  Guidance is sought as to whether they
are acceptable.
- == Cryptography ==
- If the proposal involves cryptographic code either directly or indirectly, Apache needs
to know so that the relevant paperwork can be obtained.

  == Required Resources ==
- Resources that infrastructure will be asked to supply for this project.

  === Mailing lists ===

   * lucy-dev
   * lucy-private (with moderated subscriptions)
   * lucy-commits
-  * lucy-perl-users
+  * lucy-users

  === Subversion Directory ===
  It is conventional to use all lower case, dash-separated (-) directory names. The directory
should be within the incubator directory space (http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator).
Example (OpenJPA): https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/openjpa
@@ -136, +136 @@

  Lucy already has a JIRA tracker: Lucy (LUCY)

  === Other Resources ===
- Lucy already has a MoinMoin wiki at wiki.apache.org/lucy.  It would be nice to keep it,
especially since its current location is also where it would end up upon TLP graduation, but
we will defer to the wishes of the Incubator PMC if standard Incubator wiki placement is recommended.
+ Lucy already has a MoinMoin wiki at wiki.apache.org/lucy.  It would be convenient to keep
it, especially since its current location is also where it would end up upon TLP graduation,
but we will defer to the wishes of the Incubator PMC if standard Incubator wiki placement
is recommended.

  == Initial Committers ==
   1. Marvin Humphrey (marvin at rectangular dot com)