lucy-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [KinoSearch] Release strategies (was "fields and swish3")
Date Thu, 14 Jan 2010 22:31:30 GMT
On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 05:07:14PM +0000, Dermot wrote:
> Are you saying that you want to get Lucy up-to-date with Lucene?

Nope.  Lucy a "loose C" port of Lucene.  It's not intended to be compatible.

> I curious because that would suggest that the index formats would eventually
> be cross-compatible?

The Lucene file format is waaaaaayyyyy too complicated to support.

    http://rectangular.com/pipermail/kinosearch/2009-December/007174.html

The Lucy file format will be much simpler.  It's possible that at some point,
people will write Java modules to read it.  That's the extent of the
cross-compatibility I'd expect to see in my lifetime.  But we're speculating
about vaporware, so take that FWIW...

> Won't that have a negative impact on KinoSearch usage because there is
> already a Lucene module on CPAN that uses Lucy (I know it's out-of-date) but
> someone is bound to create those bindings again.

There is a "Lucene" CPAN distro, last updated in 2007, which binds to the C++
port CLucene -- not Lucy.  (There's also a "CLucene" distro, last updated in
2005, which also binds to CLucene.)  If other people want to give their
modules misleading names, I can't do anything about that.  However, I've
reserved the CPAN namespace for "Lucy", so nobody else will be able to
cybersquat it.

> I'm also curious about what this that will mean for my current project. I
> took the 0.03_072 release and I'm a bit nervous about continued support for
> KinoSearch.

If and when we deprecate KinoSearch, or KinoSearch2 or whatever it's called at
that point, you'll be expected to switch to Lucy.  But note that the
KinoSearch dev branch (svn trunk) and Lucy are nearly identical.  Unless the
licensing change from GPL/Artistic to Apache affects you, having to switch
won't be that different from the kind of adjustments you have to make from
release to release when using the KinoSearch dev branch.

Marvin Humphrey