lucenenet-user mailing list archives

From Shad Storhaug <s...@shadstorhaug.com>
Subject RE: State / Future of the Lucene.Net Project
Date Tue, 29 May 2018 14:19:14 GMT
> 1) the page which explains why each dependency is required and it is possible to build
the system without that dependency (because packaging dependencies is also additional work).
> 2) the page which explains the layout of repository. Which projects serves for which
purpose, how they depend on each other

Lucene.Net is (for the most part) a line-by-line port of Lucene. We followed the same structure
as the Lucene project. The Lucene.Net library is the "core" and is always required. Other
dependencies depend on what functionality you are trying to use.

The Lucene 4.8.0 API documentation provides some information about the organization of the
project and what is in each package.

https://lucene.apache.org/core/4_8_0/

> 3) how to build this package WITHOUT nuget (there are reasons for this, they are in gentoo
philosophy - the rule of "no external binaries", which .nupkgs are)
> 4) the scheme of unit testing of this package (xUnit or nUnit ? does it require InternalsVisibleTo?)
> 5) images/logos for nuget package (this is not necessary, but nice to have)

Building and testing instructions are on the readme page: https://github.com/apache/lucenenet#building-and-testing

We don't have a workflow that doesn't include NuGet, and NuGet does a lot of the heavy lifting
for you (for example it determines whether to install the .NET Framework or .NET Standard
DLL depending on what your project targets). However, since .nupkg files are simply zip files
with another extension, you could use a zip program or library to unpack the binaries and
use them individually if so desired.

Logos are included in the repository, and automatically referenced in the .csproj files for
NuGet.

> 6) how to compile and install documentation on mono/linux (because package/ebuild for
sandcastle is not ready yet)

> So, documentation is the first artifact which should be significantly improved to attract
more developers to the project.

Documentation is a WIP on this PR: https://github.com/apache/lucenenet/pull/206. It is using
DocFx, not Sand Castle. This is something we need help with to finish. For the most part,
the XML docs are in shape and ready to package up, we just need the site layout and scripts
completed to add it to the build process (and to TeamCity so the site can be auto-published
during each release).

@Shannon -  Could you please provide an update as to how far along this is?

Thanks,
Shad Storhaug (NightOwl888)

I am a maintainer of some packages for "portage" package manager (EAPI is the name of specification
for them, also good for "paludis" package manager).

The latest update of NLucene package was in 2011. And there are reasons for this, the most
significant one is weak documentation of NLucene.

In particular, I need: