lucenenet-user mailing list archives

From Itamar Syn-Hershko <ita...@code972.com>
Subject Re: Lucene.NET 4.8 demo
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2016 02:40:15 GMT
Great feedback Shad, thanks

Yes, let's add AnonymousAnalyzer to core - or see if we can just use the
Analyzer class for this. This indeed looks better - the demo was just a
quick'n'dirty something I wrote, but it was intended especially for finding
pain-points like you just did. Another pain-point is the LuceneVersion
argument that we currently have as a requirement - and I'm mid-work on
removing it and setting it's value via a default. Anything else that you
can think of would probably make sense to add too :)

More comments inline.
--

Itamar Syn-Hershko
Freelance Developer & Consultant

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 1:27 AM, Shad Storhaug <shad@shadstorhaug.com> wrote:

> Another thing I noticed is that we should probably move the
> TokenStreamComponents class so it is not a nested class of Analyzer to
> match the syntax more closely to Lucene.

Not sure, I think the current syntax make things quite concise. Maybe a
helper/shortcut method would be helpful instead.

> A few thoughts on the demo:
>
> 1. Not everyone is familiar with a GitHub organization. Perhaps the demo
> should provide a list to choose from? Currently, if you type something that
> doesn't exist you get an exception. I had to do a Google search to come up
> with something, since my own username didn't work. One of the top results
> (before an actual list of organizations) was an API that can be utilized to
> read all of the GitHub organizations: https://developer.github.com/
> v3/orgs/

microsoft, facebook, github, apache - there are plenty. I will fix the
exceptions, and some WriteLine and docs in the Readme will fix the rest.

> 2. Maybe there should be some kind of estimate given on how long it will
> take to index the organization. When I ultimately chose "apache" it took
> several minutes to index the results, which I was not expecting.

Shouldn't take minutes. The demo is pulling the Readme HTML for each so
that might be slowing things done, but I don't have the time to add a
progress bar :)

> 3. Perhaps the API key should be put into a separate (config) file rather
> than inline in the code. And you could pre-define the name of this file and
> put it into a .gitignore file. This would help prevent anyone from
> accidentally committing their API key to the Git repo.

Yup, maybe in the future :)

> 4. The search results seemed a bit underwhelming. Maybe there should be
> some kind of indicators how many results Lucene.Net had to sift through to
> come up with the short list. Or at least there should be some kind of
> explanation what is happening to put things into perspective. Think of a
> crime scene investigation. If the investigators enter the search criteria
> and it comes up with 50,000 suspects it would ruin their day. If it comes
> up with 3, then their work is much easier. But without some kind of
> indicator showing that 3 is better than 50,000, the latter seems much more
> impressive in a demo.

The total number of results is displayed - along with the 10 top-rated
results. I could prettify it and add higlighted snippets (which would be a
nice addition to the demo!), and give more context etc - but as I said this
is a quick'n'dirty job. I will probably do this later on to try and find
more pain points / improvements we could do to the API. Contributions
welcome.

> 5. Perhaps there should be some way to reset the index? I entered another
> organization to test my updates to the code and it added that
> organization's results to the original index, which I wasn't expecting.

That should be eay to do.