lucenenet-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <erik.hatc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Next sync release Lucene.net
Date Tue, 26 Jan 2016 14:37:53 GMT
I/we(@Lucidworks and Solr, etc) take that _never_ as a challenge :)

I’m pragmatic, so if the scale and technology fit the need, awesome +1!  However great in-process
search is for certain scenarios, it just doesn’t fit when you’re dealing with mega amounts
of scale.  Billions of documents, or super high QPS… gotta distribute (and by definition,
remote it) to scale.  And I think the “faster” is worth always testing out, considering
caching (at various layers), distributed querying in parallel, and “binary” response formats
when it comes to working with the likes of Solr.

Hey, I’m a big fan of Lucene, including supporting the Lucene.net <http://lucene.net/>
efforts.  Personally, I’m using Solr for everything, but to each their own, within what
is pragmatically possible.  And sometimes you just have to build an app natively, so I totally
get that.  It’s why in the Java world we don’t _have_ to remote Solr even (using EmbeddedSolrServer).

—
Erik Hatcher, Senior Solutions Architect
http://www.lucidworks.com <http://www.lucidworks.com/>

> On Jan 26, 2016, at 9:00 AM, Bart Czernicki <Bartosz.Czernicki@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> There definitely is a need for local in-process search technology that is not REST based.
 .NET developers have plenty of options there: Solr, ElasticSearch, Azure Search (on MSFT
cloud).  The network latency, https protocol and serialization/deserialization together are
never going to be faster than in-process search.

> Lucene 4.x has some great improvements in search and faceting that would be great to
have.  I see this request come up a lot.

<http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/overview/case-studies/>

the newer changes to Lucene tend to cover more specialized needs, with correspondingly fewer
developers willing to work on it, or needing the functions?

> I know for our org's needs Lucene 3.0.3 seems perfect as-is.
>
> Michael Gorsich
> Senior Developer, DTE Energy - ITS
> 734.586.1531 (Fermi 2)
> gorsichm@dteenergy.com <mailto:gorsichm@dteenergy.com>
>

> "Michael O'Shea" ---2016.01.26 08:28:28---I managed to integrate Lucene.Net <http://lucene.net/>
into a content post-processing system on an Azure worker process.

<mailto:Brad.Allan@Fiserv.com>>