lucenenet-user mailing list archives

From Itamar Syn-Hershko <ita...@code972.com>
Subject Re: Next sync release Lucene.net
Date Tue, 26 Jan 2016 14:20:26 GMT
As with all OSS projects, In the end of day it really boils down to the
community. How big it is, and how active it is.

I know for a fact Lucene.NET has a vast amount of users, including big
projects you all know (Nuget, RavenDB, Umbraco, and more) and in big
companies (several teams in Microsoft are using and also have contributed
code, for example). But the amount of active participants is very small,
and this is the main reason why we haven't made a release lately.

Launching a new project that will allow to run Java Lucene via any CLR
wrapper for Java will run into the exact same issues. All code requires
maintenance.

In fact, I spoke about exactly that a few months ago at .NET Fringe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyhRwbiwgv0

We are making good progress and will eventually get to a 4.8 release, but
without more help from the community it will take us some time to get
there. And as I mentioned in the video, I find it utterly ridiculous that
companies are making money out of this OSS project for years now and don't
contribute back a single dime (or man hours). This, for sure, is a way to
make a project die.

My $0.02.

--

Itamar Syn-Hershko