lucenenet-user mailing list archives

From "Frank Yu" <frank...@farpoint.com>
Subject RE: Lucene.net vs Lucene with IKVM
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2015 17:09:13 GMT
I am sure that Microsoft would like to see Lucene.NET version running. Maybe they can sponsor
the effort. Just a thought.

Thanks,

Frank Yu

-----Original Message-----
From: Elad Margalit [mailto:eladmarg@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2015 6:34 AM
To: dev@lucenenet.apache.org
Cc: user@lucenenet.apache.org
Subject: Re: Lucene.net vs Lucene with IKVM

Totally Agree with Syn-Hershko,

Currently, I'm using the ikvm ported version, i can tell for sure, there is at least 20% penalty
in performance.

when you're using the ivkm version, the JIT avoid many optimizations, in the future, we'll
be able to do much more optimizations - async/await, SIMD instructions when RyuJIT is out
in few month, bcl collections, stackalloc for small inline arrays and many other stuff.
we'll also be able to monitor the critical performance paths in tools such as ants profiler
or dotTrace, and make lucene even more faster.

i have no doubt after the porting will be done, it will be about 15-20% faster than the native
java version.

its a main goal for all of us to contribute to this port

Thank you all guys

Cheers,