lucenenet-user mailing list archives

From Itamar Syn-Hershko <ita...@code972.com>
Subject Re: Lucene.net 4.8.0
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2014 00:00:03 GMT
Hi David, and welcome.

Thanks for your efforts and willingness to contribute. As Stefan mentioned
there probably will be some paperwork involved before we can do anything
with this, but I don't suspect there will be real problem.

I haven't reviewed your branch yet, so forgive me if answers to some of the
items below are evident by looking at it.

To better understand the current status of your work and plan our next
steps with it, can you please describe in short what you did there, and
whether there are parts you know you haven't worked on? (contrib packages
for example? or less commonly used parts of the core?). Any info you could
give us would be helpful - especially if there are known gaps in the
implementation.

The way I see this merged in is after the CLA is signed we continue working
on a branch until we are satisfied with it, and then we can test, cleanup,
create nugets and stage a release.

I think serious discussion needs to be made between us committers with
regards to the 4.3 branch Paul Irwin has worked on recently. Some of his
work I was able to review and can confirm is good and stable, plus I think
they are already using it in production. Michael and I chipped in a bit
there as well to rearrange some stuff. The biggest disadvantage of the 4.3
branch is it's very outdated already (Java Lucene is currently at 4.9), and
it has almost no tests to verify it. I believe the question is mainly - do
we want to jump from 3.0 to 4.8 or do we want to have a 4.3 version as well?

There's also the issue of doubling the efforts - basically most of your
work has already been done and probably tested to some extent by Paul
unless you were aware of his efforts and built on them. Whether we will try
and release 4.3 or not, I think we should verify 4.3 and 4.8 in tandem to
make sure we don't lose any of the work done.

I'll be more than happy to jump in on this and help wherever necessary.
I've been planning on doing this for a while now on the 4.3 branch but
being a freelancer I always find myself pulled in to other (paid) projects.
Having more people to collaborate with will definitely help focus on this.
That is to say I'm happy to be the coordinator of this merge.

Let's continue this technical discussion on the dev mailing list please, it
belongs there.

--

Itamar Syn-Hershko
Freelance Developer & Consultant