lucenenet-user mailing list archives

From Franklin Simmons <fsimm...@sccmediaserver.com>
Subject RE: Retrieval Performance degradation when indexing a numeric field
Date Wed, 03 Apr 2013 18:32:46 GMT
FWIW, it's been my experience that it is best to split year/month/day and hour/minute/second
into two fields, particularly with respect for searches such as from the beginning of time
to now, and for sorting. YMMV.  Please note my experience is limited to Lucene.Net v2.3.

-----Original Message-----
From: Avi Levy [mailto:levy@wesee.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 1:34 PM
To: user@lucenenet.apache.org
Subject: Retrieval Performance degradation when indexing a numeric field

Hello,

I have a Lucene.NET index created with version 2.9.4.1. I have re-indexed the index from scratch
and added a numeric field to the index representing a date. The field is not stored. The numeric
value represents a date in the format of yyyyMMddhhmm.

I noticed that when I use queries on the index they take significantly longer.
Below you can see a table for the average query time.
Each run was of 3000 different queries, all running one after the other with a short sleep
between them.

No dates indexed

Dates indexed

Not optimized

79.76 ms

312.63

Optimized

75.26 ms

78.40

I optimized by setting these parameters: UseCompaundFile = false, RamBufferSize = 200, TermIndexInterval
= 16.

Is this an expected behavior?
Is there something I can do to improve the performance of non-optimized index?

Thanks,
Avi