lucenenet-user mailing list archives

From Nicholas Petersen <npeterse...@gmail.com>
Subject what happens when new documents written to old index file?
Date Mon, 09 Apr 2012 04:04:31 GMT
Hello all,

It's been a while since I've actively gotten my hands involved in Lucene,
but I follow it on these email message boards all the time. Anyway, I'm
getting rusty on my concepts of some points, and here is one particular
question I've been wondering:

When you have already indexed let's say 10,000 documents, and
saved/committed it to file, let's say later you open it up and want to add
one simple document to the index. What I want to know is: how intensive (IO
wise, working on the index file structures) and how performant is the
process of adding one simple document to the already written indexes
(files)? Compared, for instance, to how well a B+ Tree can handle adding
another item to it (ideally very well, with very little of the B+Tree file
bytes having to be touched or reshuffled)?

Worst case scenario is: the whole inverted index structures have to be
re-written.

Was it that a new add like this essentially writes another set of indexes
(with something like an appended iterated number on the files "*_2.*")? Or
is it a lot more capable than all this?

Thanks