lucenenet-user mailing list archives

From Brian Sayatovic <bsayato...@creditinfonet.com>
Subject RE: [Lucene.Net] Nuget, Lucene.Net, and Your Thoughts
Date Wed, 21 Sep 2011 12:06:37 GMT
I would love to use it.  Unfortunately, my project is well underway and under tight deadlines,
so we can't afford the disruption of switching to NuGet for Lucene, or any of the other libraries
we use.  However, once we release, I definitely want to embrace NuGet and would love for Lucene.NET
to be available through NuGet.

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Herndon [mailto:mherndon@wickedsoftware.net]
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:57 PM
To: lucene-net-dev@lucene.apache.org; lucene-net-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: [Lucene.Net] Nuget, Lucene.Net, and Your Thoughts

We're taking a quick poll over the next few days to see how people would like use Lucene.Net
through Nuget on the developers mailing list**

Currently version 2.9.2 is hosted on nuget.org, but that package was not create by the project
maintainers, thus nuget is not currently set up in source.  Going forward, we would like to
continue what someone else started by creating nuget packages for Lucene.Net.

Right now there are two packages: Lucene & Lucene.Contrib.  My question to the community
is do you wish to finer grain packages, i.e. a package for each contrib project or continue
to keep it simple.

The granular approach will let you use only what you need. We can also create additional higher
level packages which have dependencies on the other
ones.   Possibly a Lucene.Net-Essentials and Lucene.Net-Full.

Or we can keep it simple and continue with only two packages.

My concerns are that the granular approach might overwhelm people with choice. The simple
choice might be considered bloat for importing and then installing assemblies that you might
never use.

Another topic to converse about is would you like to see an out-of-band project nuget feed
for  nightly builds, branches with new or experimental features, or stable code snapshots
for a projected release?

** when you post, please respond to lucene-net-dev@lucene.apache.org.  This was posted to
both lists to make sure everyone subscribed to both lists has a chance to voice their use
cases or concerns.

Learn more about the products, services and technology solutions available from CIN Legal
Data Services at: www.cinlegal.com<http://www.cinlegal.com>

This message may contain confidential / proprietary information from CIN Legal Data Service
and Credit Infonet, Inc.. If you are not an intended recipient, please refrain from the disclosure,
copying, distribution or use of this information. All such unauthorized actions are strictly
prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender by e-mail
at bsayatovic@creditinfonet.com and delete all copies of this material from any computer.