lucenenet-user mailing list archives

From Itamar Syn-Hershko <ita...@code972.com>
Subject Re: [Lucene.Net] Announcing Lucene.Net.Contrib
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2011 15:01:27 GMT
To cite my blog post:

"This is not trying to compete with Lucene.Net's contrib section, it is
just intended in being much more flexible, fast growing community of
extensions, most probably will be small in size."

The .NET community is not around Apache as much as the Java community
is. It is much easier to get to it via github and nuget, and it is
impossible to do that in slow release cycles. Also, git is so much
easier for projects of this sort, where community contributions is the
center of things (unlike Lucene.Net, in which the product is). Forks and
branches in SVN are a real pain...

My goal is to publish extensions I find useful and hopefully to get or
incorporate others' too. If for example I find a bug in
FastVectorHighlighter and can't wait on a Lucene.Net release, I'd copy
it from the original Contrib and fix it on my branch. I don't think all
changes justify that, hence my latest patch was submitted to JIRA.

I'm not trying to split resources, on the contrary. As far as I'm
concerned, you can incorporate my repo in contribs before every release.

Itamar.