lucenenet-user mailing list archives

From Ken Foskey <kfos...@tpg.com.au>
Subject Re: [Lucene.Net] VOTE: .NET 2.0 Framework Support After Apache Lucene.Net 2.9.4
Date Wed, 11 May 2011 22:11:43 GMT

On 12/05/2011, at 12:16 AM, "Granroth, Neal V." <neal.granroth@thermofisher.com> wrote:

> That's a fantasyland perceptive.  In the real world there are many, huge organizations
(the clients to whom we sell various products, including one optional package that incorporates
Lucene.NET) who tie themselves to older versions (Windows95 is the oldest in-production platform
of which I'm aware). The market is clearly demanding products and support for older systems.

> - Neal

what, you're stuck with the latest Lucene.NET for CLR2.  Too bad.  That latest release obviously
is working fine for you right now, otherwise why did those business decisions make that a
dependency in the first place.  You're also missing out on countless other libraries who have
shifted to .NET 4, which you are stuck on the latest CLR2 versions of.  The rest of the world
has moved on, and guess what, we don't need to be held back because there are a few people
left behind.

It is possible to maintain a v2 or even v3.5 branch.  This could be supported as the community
makes the effort.  A few patches won't be 4 specific, majority I expect.  If you want to take
on managing this branch because your company demands it then put up your hand.

It sounds like v4 offers advantages in performance and personally I need to go 4 for other
projects anyway.  Not supporting v4 would be frustrating from the simple iswhitespace function
to full libraries