lucenenet-user mailing list archives

From Ryan Hoffman <rhoff...@tntp.org>
Subject RE: [Lucene.Net] VOTE: .NET 2.0 Framework Support After Apache Lucene.Net 2.9.4
Date Tue, 10 May 2011 23:19:41 GMT
I feel like if you're in an org that is limiting you to be on .NET2 / CLR2, then guess what,
you're stuck with the latest Lucene.NET for CLR2.  Too bad.  That latest release obviously
is working fine for you right now, otherwise why did those business decisions make that a
dependency in the first place.  You're also missing out on countless other libraries who have
shifted to .NET 4, which you are stuck on the latest CLR2 versions of.  The rest of the world
has moved on, and guess what, we don't need to be held back because there are a few people
left behind.

Ryan Hoffman

-----Original Message-----
From: Moray McConnachie [mailto:mmcconna@oxford-analytica.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 3:15 AM
To: lucene-net-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: [Lucene.Net] VOTE: .NET 2.0 Framework Support After Apache Lucene.Net 2.9.4

In this case I must vote

[0]

Shifting to 4.0 isn't that great for those of us who like Neal have more complex production
platform issues to consider - and in the wonderful world of business decisions, Lucene and
its features may play only a small part.

I think we should probably have run two votes:

a) discontinue support for 2.0
b) should we standardise on 3.5 or 4.0

I've not run into any awkward build issues on different versions of 3.5, but it seems quite
likely the same problem if it exists for 3.5 will also come to be true for 4.0 after a few
service packs.

Moray
Moray McConnachie
Director of IT    +44 1865 261 600