lucenenet-user mailing list archives

From "Granroth, Neal V." <neal.granr...@thermofisher.com>
Subject RE: [Lucene.Net] Document Search with Permissions
Date Wed, 18 May 2011 16:00:04 GMT
Is it required that all documents reside in a single index regardless of a document's Windows
DACL?

If not, then another possible scheme would be to create multiple indexes stored in different
folders.  Apply the need user permissions to each folder.  When searching, your code would
select for search only those indexes contained in folders that the current user can access.

It is somewhat convoluted, but it let's Windows do nearly all of the work of controlling user
access; and the administrator can use standard Windows tools to manage access control.

- Neal

-----Original Message-----
From: Prescott Nasser [mailto:geobmx540@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 9:32 PM
To: lucene-net-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: [Lucene.Net] Document Search with Permissions

Does anyone have experience building a document database that requires various user permission
levels?

UserX can Edit/Delete, Read
UserY can Read
UserZ No Access

GroupA = UserX & UserY

Document1 = everyone can read
Document2 = readable by GroupA

etc?

Similar to the windows filesystem permission system.

I'm just not sure the best way to keep track of document permissions - do I make a field Permissions
and store all the various permissions in that? Is there another way?

Any Insights anyone has would be great,

Thanks
~Prescott