lucenenet-user mailing list archives

From Nitin Shiralkar <nit...@coreobjects.com>
Subject Lucene search relevancy: Optimization
Date Thu, 06 May 2010 17:30:56 GMT
Hi,

We are using Lucene in a knowledge management system for legal domain. We index lot of legal
documents into Lucene as free-text and also index some metadata information (extracted from
document) into separate fields. Now we want to optimize relevancy for following cases:

1.       Searching with free-text query:
We want to provide a google-like simple search interface accepting a free-text query. However
in order to achieve better relevancy, we want to map that query against metadata fields. For
example, if the user searches for "California Merger Agreement for telecom" document then
we want to internally search for "California" against State metadata field, "Merger agreement"
against document type field and also complete text as full-text index. What would be the best
way to do that?

2.       Returning high-rated documents on top:

We have some high-rated documents in the system and we do store this high-value field in index.
For any type of searches, we want high-value documents to appear on top if they satisfy search
criteria. One of the ways that we are thinking is to sort on high-value field to get those
on top. Is there any other way like boosting etc?

I know these are pretty specific application questions, but any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance !

Nitin