lucenenet-dev mailing list archives

From Weiwen Xue <Weiwen_...@msn.com>
Subject RE: [NuGet Gallery] Message for owners of the package 'Lucene.Net'
Date Thu, 07 Sep 2017 08:36:22 GMT
Thanks a lot for the reply.  It’s great to know the .NET version is active and new releases
are coming out.  To be honest I’m new to Lucene, and I’m a.NET/Windows developer.  Is
there any document on how to jump start to Lucent?

Thanks,
Weiwen

From: Shad Storhaug [mailto:shad@shadstorhaug.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 2:41 PM
To: Weiwen_Xue <weiwen_xue@msn.com>
Cc: wwb <wyatt.barnett@gmail.com>; pnasser <prescott.nasser@hotmail.com>; synhershko
<itamar@code972.com>; dev@lucenenet.apache.org
Subject: RE: [NuGet Gallery] Message for owners of the package 'Lucene.Net'

Hi,

Yes, we are working on another beta release of Lucene 4.8 now.

Lucene 4.x was a complete redesign that also increased the size of the project by more than
a factor of 10 (over 400,000 executable lines not including curly brackets or comments), so
there were a couple of failed efforts before 4.8.0 took hold. It has taken 3 years to port
it due to its size, the comparatively small number of contributions we have had, and complexity
involved in getting tests to pass and add support for .NET Standard. We are nearly feature-complete
now, but there are still a number of issues to work on if you are willing to help out (https://github.com/apache/lucenenet/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md#other-ways-to-help).

In particular, we could use some dedicated beta testers to help test on the non-Windows platforms
that .NET Standard 1.5 supports (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/standard/net-standard),
more thorough testing of international support and more thorough testing of the newer packages
such as Lucene.Net.Suggest, Lucene.Net.Facet, Lucene.Net.Highlighter, and Lucene.Net.Spatial.
Feedback on the API on what needs to be improved is also extremely helpful.

Also note that even though we are now behind Lucene by 2 major versions that the changeset
between 4.8 and 6.x is very small by comparison to the work we had to put in to make it from
3.0.3 to 4.8.0. We should be able to catch up pretty quickly after 4.8 is stable.

Thanks,
Shad Storhaug (NightOwl888)