lucenenet-dev mailing list archives

From Itamar Syn-Hershko <ita...@code972.com>
Subject Re: [TeamCity, FAILED] Build Lucene.NET :: Lucene.NET Core #57
Date Wed, 31 Dec 2014 17:01:43 GMT
Re the change in the Codec - makes sense, just lets make sure we don't
forget to bring it back when Prescott is done (Prescott, any ETA btw?)

This seems to affect just one test not 400 though - or am I missing
something?

Anyway there were some similar failures in the past because the Codecs
weren't picked up correctly or tests weren't configured - I'll have a look
again to make sure this is not that all over again.

--

Itamar Syn-Hershko
Freelance Developer & Consultant

On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 6:04 PM, Laimonas Simutis <laimis@gmail.com> wrote:

> MemoryPostingsFormat is part of the Lucene.Net.Codecs project which I
> believe based on checkins Prescott is still working and we shouldn't add to
> the tests just yet. Please correct me if I am off.
>
> Another alternative would be to set it to Lucene41xPostingsFormat but
> that's the same format that Default Codec uses before the branch is
> invoked. So that is kind of useless.
>
> At this point I would say we just comment the whole if branch out until
> MemoryPostingsFormat is ready. What do you guys say? I have a few other
> fixes ready, will go with commenting out route until I hear from someone
> else otherwise.
>

> On Wed Dec 31 2014 at 10:44:01 AM Laimonas Simutis <laimis@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I believe this is the culprit:
>>
>> https://github.com/apache/lucenenet/blob/master/src/
>> Lucene.Net.Tests/core/Index/TestRollingUpdates.cs#L51
>>
>> If that random get boolean returns true, the default codec is set
>> to Lucene3xPostingsFormat. That is the codec that throws that exception we
>> see in the logs.
>>
>> Any test after TestRollingUpdates that tries to write to an index fails
>> as they all use Codec.Default. That matches what I see in the output logs
>> where the failure starts with TestRollingUpdates unit test and then you can
>> see it happen 1k times after.
>>
>> Java version is different from the ported .NET version:
>>
>> https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/blob/lucene_solr_
>> 4_8_0/lucene/core/src/test/org/apache/lucene/index/
>> TestRollingUpdates.java#L45
>>
>> Instead of setting it to Lucene3xPostingsFormat, it sets it to MemoryPostingsFormat.
>> Looking into the fix...
>>

>> On Wed Dec 31 2014 at 10:02:04 AM Laimonas Simutis <laimis@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Itamar,
>>>
>>> I doubt that the latest changes is what did it. I just ran a full test
>>> suite locally on existing master and got the results that match what we
>>> would expect: 2206 pass, 481 fail.
>>>
>>> It is very much likely a case of random tests triggering a certain
>>> condition that sets default codec to 3x and then when test data is created
>>> in Test Setup step these exceptions are being triggered. Again, it is a
>>> guess, but based on what I have observed. Also, keep in mind that I was
>>> seeing "System.NotSupportedException : this codec can only be used for
>>> reading" almost from the first full suite runs locally. I just chose to not
>>> deal with them at that time as it is very inconsistent in how it can be
>>> reproduced.
>>>
>>> My approach right now is to run the full test over and over again with
>>> some modified logging to see if I can track down how Lucene3x codec ends up
>>> being used for the tests that are writing data.
>>>

>>> Laimonas

874