lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Markus Jelsma <markus.jel...@openindex.io>
Subject RE: SolrClient from inside processAdd function
Date Thu, 05 Sep 2019 22:20:37 GMT
Hello Arnold,

In the Factory's inform() method you receive a SolrCore reference. Using this you can get
the CloudDescriptor and the ZkController references. These provide access to what you need
to open a connection for SolrClient.

Our plugins usually work in cloud and non-cloud environments, so we initialize different things
for each situation. Like this abstracted in some CloudUtils thing:

    cloudDescriptor = core.getCoreDescriptor().getCloudDescriptor();
    zk = core.getCoreContainer().getZkController(); // this is the ZkController ref
    coreName = core.getCoreDescriptor().getName();

    // Are we in cloud mode?
    if (zk != null) {
      collectionName = core.getCoreDescriptor().getCollectionName();
      shardId = cloudDescriptor.getShardId();
    } else {
      collectionName = null;
      shardId = null;
    }

Depending on cloudMode we create new SolrClient instances based on these classes.

Check the apidocs and you'll quickly see what you need.

We use these api's to get what we need. But you can also find these things if you check the
Java system properties, which is easier. We use the api's to read the data because if api's
change, we get a compile error. If the system properties change, we don't. So the system properties
is easier, but the api's are safer. Although a unit tests should guard against that as well.

Regards,
Markus

ps, on this list there is normally no need to create a new thread for an existing one, even
if you are eagerly waiting for a reply. It might take some patience though.