lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Jörn Franke <jornfra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to resolve a single domain name to multiple zookeeper IP in Solr
Date Thu, 26 Sep 2019 10:40:42 GMT
The newest zk version supports dynamic change of the zk instances:

https://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/r3.5.3-beta/zookeeperReconfig.html

However, for that to work properly in case of a Solr restart you always need a minimal set
of servers that do not change and just increase/decrease additional ones.

> Am 26.09.2019 um 12:22 schrieb LEE Ween Jiann <wjlee.2019@phdcs.smu.edu.sg>:
>
> I'm trying to modify the helm chart for solr such that it works for kubernetes (k8s)
deployment correctly. There needs to be a particular change in the way solr resolves zookeepers
hostname in order for this to happen.

> Let me explain...
> The standard way to configure solr is by listing all the zookeeper hostname/IP in either:
>
>  *   solr.in.sh or solr.in.cmd
>  *   zoo.cfg
>  *   -z param
> For example: ZK_HOST="zk1:2181,zk2:2181,zk3:2181".
>
> However, when it comes to cloud deployment, in particular on k8s using helm chart, this
is not an ideal situation as the user is required to modify zk_host each time they scale the
number of zookeeper up/down.

>  *   For example (scale down): ZK_HOST="zk1:2181,zk2:2181".
>  *   For example (scale up): ZK_HOST="zk1:2181,zk2:2181,zk3:2181,zk4:2181".
>
> This cannot be done automatically using in helm/k8s. In k8s, this parameter should remain
static, meaning that it should not be changed after deployment of the chart.

>  *   For example (k8s): ZK_HOST="zk-headless:2181".
>
> What a chart can do is to create a service with a DNS name such as zk-headless that contains
all the IP of the zookeepers, and as zookeeper scales, the number of IP resolved from zk-headless
changes. Could solr to resolve multiple zookeeper IPs from a single name?