lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Query regarding Solr Cloud Setup
Date Tue, 03 Sep 2019 14:48:33 GMT
Having custom core.properties files is “fraught”. First of all, that file can be re-written.
Second, the collections ADDREPLICA command will create a new core.properties file. Third,
any mistakes you make when hand-editing the file can have grave consequences.

What change exactly do you want to make to core.properties and why?

Trying to reproduce “what a colleague has done on standalone” is not something I’d recommend,
SolrCloud is a different beast. Reproducing the _behavior_ is another thing, so what is the
behavior you want in SolrCloud that causes you to want to customize core.properties?

Best,
Erick

> On Sep 3, 2019, at 10:15 AM, Shawn Heisey <apache@elyograg.org> wrote:
>
> On 9/3/2019 7:22 AM, Porritt, Ian wrote:
>> We have a schema which I have managed to upload to Zookeeper along with the Solrconfig,
how do I get the system to recognise both a lib/.jar extension and a custom core.properties
file? I bypassed the issue of the core.properties by amending the update.autoCreateField in
the Solrconfig.xml to false however would like to include as a colleague has done on Solr
Standlone.

> I cannot tell what you are asking here.  The core.properties file lives on the disk,
not in ZK.

> I was under the impression that .jar files could not be loaded into ZK and used in a
core config.  Documentation saying otherwise was recently pointed out to me on the list, but
I remain skeptical that this actually works, and I have not tried to implement it myself.

> The best way to handle custom jar loading is to create a "lib" directory under the solr
home, and place all jars there.  Solr will automatically load them all before any cores are
started, and no config commands of any kind will be needed to make it happen.

>> Also from a high availability aspect, if I effectivly lost 2 of the Solr Servers
due to an outage will the system still work as expected? Would I expect any data loss?

> If all three Solr servers have a complete copy of all your indexes, then you should remain
fully operational if two of those Solr servers go down.

> Note that if you have three ZK servers and you lose two, that means that you have lost
zookeeper quorum, and in that situation, SolrCloud will transition to read only -- you will
not be able to change any index in the cloud.  This is how ZK is designed and it cannot be
changed.  If you want a ZK deployment to survive the loss of two servers, you must have at
least five total ZK servers, so more than 50 percent of the total survives.