lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Query number of Lucene documents using Solr?
Date Mon, 26 Aug 2019 21:12:10 GMT
On 8/26/2019 2:19 PM, Bram Van Dam wrote:
> Possibly somewhat unusual question: I'm looking for a way to query the
> number of *lucene documents* from within Solr. This can be different
> from the number of Solr documents (because of unmerged deletes/updates/
> etc).
>
> As a bit of background; we recently found this lovely little error
> message in a Solr log, and we'd like to get a bit of an early warning
> system going :-)

The numbers shown in Solr's LukeRequestHandler come directly from
Lucene.  This is the URL endpoint it will normally be at, for core XXX:

http://host:port/solr/XXX/admin/luke

The specific error you encountered is why old hands will recommended
staying below a billion documents in a core.  That leaves room for
deleted documents as well.

Thanks,
Shawn