lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Increased disk space usage 8.1.1 vs 7.7.1
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2019 11:42:32 GMT
On 6/13/2019 4:19 AM, Markus Jelsma wrote:
> We are upgrading to Solr 8. One of our reindexed collections takes a GB more than the
production uses which is on 7.7.1. Production also has deleted documents. This means Solr
8 somehow uses more disk space. I have checked both Solr and Lucene's CHANGES but no ticket
was immediately obvious.

Did you index to a core with nothing in it, or reindex on an existing
index without deleting everything first and letting Lucene erase all the
segments?

If you reindexed into an existing index, you could simply have deleted
documents taking up the extra space.  Full comparison would need to be
done after optimizing both indexes to clear out deleted documents.

You're probably already aware that optimizing in production is
discouraged, unless you're willing to do it frequently ... which gets
expensive with large indexes.

If the size is 1GB larger after both indexes are optimized to clear
deleted documents, then the other replies you've gotten will be important.

Thanks,
Shawn