lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Jan Høydahl <jan....@cominvent.com>
Subject Re: Unexpected behaviour when Solr 6 Admin UI pages are cached and server is Solr 8?
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2019 20:22:36 GMT
Could perhaps the UI have a version hard coded, and when the dashboard fetches /admin/info/system
it compares the version, and if newer than what is in the JS, it will pop up a dialogue to
ask user to reload and clear caches for the site in browser?

Jan Høydahl

> 5. jun. 2019 kl. 20:47 skrev Shawn Heisey <apache@elyograg.org>:
>
>> On 6/5/2019 11:10 AM, Colvin Cowie wrote:
>> Upon opening the Admin UI I got some nasty behaviour, which appears to be a
>> result of some the Solr 6 Admin UI pages being cached.
>
> In general I would consider this a bug, and a good reason to raise an issue in Jira.
>
> The admin UI should tell the browser not to EVER cache items that could change.
>
> We could probably go with "don't cache anything" ... but some of the files the admin
UI uses are quite large, so I don't think it's a bad idea to let the browser go ahead and
cache things that are not likely to change, especially if they have a version number in the
filename.  Maybe for large things that don't have version numbers, which includes files like
"angular.js", we could tell the browser to only cache it for a short time, say 5 to 15 minutes.

> An alternate idea for discussion ... we could modify the URLs so that everything that
can be cached has a version number.  Maybe by putting it in a subdirectory that contains the
release version, like "v8.1.1" or "v8.1.2-SNAPSHOT".  It would make the build process a little
more complicated, but I think it would also make sure that problems like this never happen
again.