lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Solr-8.1.0 uses much more memory
Date Sun, 26 May 2019 18:08:53 GMT
On 5/25/2019 9:40 AM, Joe Doupnik wrote:
>      Comparing memory consumption (real, not virtual) of quiesent Solr
> v8.0 and prior with Solr v8.1.0 reveals the older versions use about
> 1.6GB on my systems but v8.1.0 uses 4.5 to 5+GB. Systems used are SUSE
> Linux, with Oracle JDK v1.8 and openjdk v10. This is a major memory
> consumption issue. I have seen no mention of it in the docs nor forums.

If Solr is using 4 to 5 GB of memory on your system, it is only doing
that because you told it that it was allowed to.

If you run a Java program with a minimum heap that's smaller than the
max heap, which Solr does not do by default, then what you will find is
that Java *might* stay lower than the maximum for a while.  But
eventually it WILL allocate the entire maximum heap from the OS, plus
some extra for Java itself to work with.  Solr 8.0 and Solr 8.1 are not
different from each other in this regard.

Thanks,
Shawn