lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Sadiki Latty <sla...@uottawa.ca>
Subject RE: Solr Cloud configuration
Date Fri, 26 Apr 2019 12:14:05 GMT
Hi Shawn,

What you're saying makes sense but is it achievable without downtime? i.e: Is it achievable
to change the replication factor to 2 as you suggest, and Solr puts the sharded documents
back together then replicate?

Thanks,
Sid

-----Original Message-----
From: Shawn Heisey <apache@elyograg.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2019 7:44 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Solr Cloud configuration

On 4/25/2019 2:44 PM, Sadiki Latty wrote:
> -          replica 1
>
> If I need to upgrade Solr, the recommended method is to update one at a time. However,
when I bring down one Solr instance I noticed that queries no longer work and I get the error
"no servers hosting shard" from the node that is up. After some research I am wondering if
this is happening because of the shard configuration. Is there any way for me to do an upgrade
without any/siginificant downtime?

If your replicationFactor is 1, you have zero redundancy.  As soon as the Solr instance hosting
that single copy of the shard goes down, that shard is gone.

You would need a replicationFactor of at least 2 -- so there are at least two copies of your

Thanks,
Shawn