lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Charlie Hull <char...@flax.co.uk>
Subject Re: SOLR and AWS comprehend
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2019 10:07:10 GMT
On 13/02/2019 12:17, Gareth Baxendale wrote:
> This is perhaps more or an architecture question than dev code but
> appreciate collective thoughts!
>
> We are using Solr to order records and to categorise them to allow users to
> search and find specific medical conditions. We have an opportunity to make
> use of Machine Learning to aid and improve the results. AWS Comprehend is
> the product we are looking at but there is a question over whether one
> should replace the other as they would compete or if in fact both should
> work together to provide the solution we are after.

One is an open source search engine and one is a closed source hosted
NLP service you pay for. I think you're comparing chalk and cheese here:
you would use a NLP service to enhance the source data before indexing
with something like Solr, or extract information from a query before
searching. Although Solr does contain some classification features it
doesn't contain any NLP features - although as my colleague Liz writes
you can now easily integrate Solr & OpenNLP, another open source
toolkit.
https://opensourceconnections.com/blog/2018/08/06/intro_solr_nlp_integrations/

By the way are you aware that NHS Wales are using Solr to power their
patient records service?

Best

Charlie

--