lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: solr 4.4 splitshard query
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2018 17:40:51 GMT
On 12/5/2018 5:14 AM, ashoknix wrote:
> curl -v
> 'http://localhost:8980/solr/admin/collections?action=SPLITSHARD&collection=billdocs&shard=shard1&async=2000'

> the collection time out:300s</str><str
> name="trace">org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: splitshard the collection
> time out:300s
<snip>
> 1.  Currently index size is around 40GB.
> 2.  Right now it has single shard - we observe query times high.
> 3.  Does SPLITSHARD helps here with query times?  Since docs gets
> distributed

You're trying to make the call async.  This is a good idea... but async
capability for the collections API was added in Solr 4.8.

Which means that in version 4.4, any collections API action that takes
longer than your collections API timeout is going to return this error.
Your timeout appears to be 300 seconds.  I do not know whether the
splitshard will continue to operate on the server in this situation or not.

Once you have successfully split your index, the following will apply:
Increasing the shard count will increase the amount of work that Solr
must do to execute a query.  If your query rate is very low and your
system has idle CPUs, then the query might complete faster.  If your
query rate is high or you do not have idle CPUs, then splitting shards
will make your queries take longer.

Because the latest version of Solr is 7.5.0, I would not recommend
running any 4.x version.  There is zero possibility of bugs in 4.x
getting developer attention.  Bugs in 6.6.x MIGHT get attention, but
mostly only bugs in the current major release will be addressed.

Thanks,
Shawn