lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Thomas L. Redman" <tomred...@mchsi.com>
Subject Expression Evaluation
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2018 18:02:00 GMT
I suspect nobody wants to broach this topic, this has to have come up before, but I can not
find an authoritative answer. How does the Standard Query Parser evaluate boolean expressions?
I have three fields, content, status and source_name. The expression

content:bement AND status:relevant

yields 111 documents. The expression

source_name:Web

yields 78050168 documents. However, the expression

content:bement AND status:relevant OR source_name:Web

yields 111 documents. Can anybody describe the order of operation, operator priorities used
in evaluating the above expression? It looks to me as if it takes the intersection of content:bement
and status:relevant, then limits successive set operators to that set. Is that true? So any
additional “OR” expressions will have no effect?