lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Rule-based replication or sharing
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2018 16:29:37 GMT
On 10/2/2018 9:11 AM, Chuck Reynolds wrote:
> Until we move to Solr 7.5 is there a way that we can control sharding with the core.properties
file?

> It seems to me that you use to be able to put a core.properties file in the Solr home
path with something like the following.

> coreNodeName=bts_shard3_01
> shard=shard3
> collection=BTS
>
> Then start Solr and it would create the sharding base on the information in the core.properties
file.

> When I try it with Solr 6.6 it seem to ignore the core.properties file.

When running SolrCloud, don't try to manually add cores, mess with the
core.properties file, or use the CoreAdmin API unless you understand
****EXACTLY**** how SolrCloud works internally.  And even if you do have
that level of understanding, I strongly recommend not doing it.  It's
easy to get wrong.  Use the Collections API to make changes to your
indexes.  Virtually any action that people need to do to their indexes
is supported by the Collections API, and if there's something important
missing, then we can talk about adding it.  If the Collections API is
bypassed, there's a good chance that something will be missing/incorrect
in either zookeeper or core.properties, maybe both.

If you're trying to create a new shard on a collection with the implicit
router, this is probably what you're looking for:

https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_5/collections-api.html#createshard

Thanks,
Shawn