lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache SOLR upgrade from 5.2.1 to 7.x
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2018 01:06:29 GMT
IIUC the 5x->7x upgrade won't immediately fail like a 6x->8x upgrade
would, but neither is it really expected to produce the results you
expect due to differences in the index formats.
On Sat, Oct 6, 2018 at 1:31 PM Jan Høydahl <jan.asf@cominvent.com> wrote:

> Shawn, my impression is that you WILL be able to upgrade a 5.x index to 6.x and then
to 7.x for use with 7.x. So your wiki page is a bit too strict here.
> But if you ever want to upgrade to 8.x, that version will require the "first created"
version to be 7.0 or later, so you'll need a full reindex.
> See SOLR-12281 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-12281>.
>
> I'd also recommend to plan for a full re-index, and also upgrade to new field types etc
at the same time.
> Feel free to give this tool https://github.com/cominvent/solr-tools/tree/master/upgradeindex
<https://github.com/cominvent/solr-tools/tree/master/upgradeindex> a spin in your test
environtment and then just test whether 7.5 works on that index :)

> --
> Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
> Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com
>
> > 5. okt. 2018 kl. 16:49 skrev Shawn Heisey <apache@elyograg.org>:
> >
> > On 10/5/2018 4:41 AM, padmanabhan1616 wrote:
> >> 1. We cannot upgrade directly from 5.x to 7.x instead upgrade to 5.5 then
> >> upgrade to 7 as there is major index format level changes taken place in 5.5
> >> or later version.
> >
> > Solr 7.x cannot read indexes from 5.5.  It can only read indexes that were *fully*
constructed by versions back to 6.0.0.

> >> 1. Use index upgrade tool which can allow to upgrade all old indexes to new
> >> index format then we can upgrade to 7.x version easily.
> >
> > We have been advised by Lucene experts that if a version that's at least two major
versions before the target version has *EVER* touched the index, there's no guarantee that
the index will work even after upgrading through the major versions one by one. The compatibility
guarantee only goes back one major version.

> > I would strongly recommend with ANY upgrade that you always build the index from
scratch.  That produces the best results.