lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Jan H√łydahl <jan....@cominvent.com>
Subject Re: Apache SOLR upgrade from 5.2.1 to 7.x
Date Sat, 06 Oct 2018 20:31:23 GMT
Shawn, my impression is that you WILL be able to upgrade a 5.x index to 6.x and then to 7.x
for use with 7.x. So your wiki page is a bit too strict here.
But if you ever want to upgrade to 8.x, that version will require the "first created" version
to be 7.0 or later, so you'll need a full reindex.
See SOLR-12281 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-12281>.

I'd also recommend to plan for a full re-index, and also upgrade to new field types etc at
the same time.
Feel free to give this tool https://github.com/cominvent/solr-tools/tree/master/upgradeindex
<https://github.com/cominvent/solr-tools/tree/master/upgradeindex> a spin in your test
environtment and then just test whether 7.5 works on that index :)

--
Jan H√łydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

> 5. okt. 2018 kl. 16:49 skrev Shawn Heisey <apache@elyograg.org>:
>
> On 10/5/2018 4:41 AM, padmanabhan1616 wrote:
>> 1. We cannot upgrade directly from 5.x to 7.x instead upgrade to 5.5 then
>> upgrade to 7 as there is major index format level changes taken place in 5.5
>> or later version.
>
> Solr 7.x cannot read indexes from 5.5.  It can only read indexes that were *fully* constructed
by versions back to 6.0.0.

>> 1. Use index upgrade tool which can allow to upgrade all old indexes to new
>> index format then we can upgrade to 7.x version easily.
>
> We have been advised by Lucene experts that if a version that's at least two major versions
before the target version has *EVER* touched the index, there's no guarantee that the index
will work even after upgrading through the major versions one by one. The compatibility guarantee
only goes back one major version.

> I would strongly recommend with ANY upgrade that you always build the index from scratch.
 That produces the best results.