lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Making Solr Indexing Errors Visible
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2018 19:49:50 GMT
On 9/26/2018 1:23 PM, Terry Steichen wrote:
> I'm pretty sure this was covered earlier.  But I can't find references
> to it.  The question is how to make indexing errors clear and obvious.

If there's an indexing error and you're NOT using the concurrent client
in SolrJ, the response that Solr returns should indicate an error
status.  ConcurrentUpdateSolrClient gets those errors and swallows them
so the calling program never knows they occurred.

> (I find that there are maybe 10% more files in a directory than end up
> in the index.  I presume they were indexing errors, but I have no idea
> which ones or what might have caused the error.)  As I recall, Solr's
> post tool doesn't give any errors when indexing.  I (vaguely) recall
> that there's a way (through the logs?) to overcome this and show the
> errors.  Or maybe it's that you have to do the indexing outside of Solr?

The simple post tool is not really meant for production use.  It is a
simple tool for interactive testing.

I don't see anything in SimplePostTool for changing the program's exit
status when an error is encountered during program operation.  If an
error is encountered during the upload, a message would be logged to
stderr, but you wouldn't be able to rely on the program's exit status to
indicate an error.  To get that, you will need to write the indexing
software.

Thanks,
Shawn