lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Jan Høydahl <jan....@cominvent.com>
Subject Re: Unnecessary Components
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2018 20:34:39 GMT
This is one of the reasons we should pursue a plugin-bundle based distribution. i.e. one main
tarball and multiple smaller plugins, see SOLR-10665 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-10665>
This effort has a working POC, but it is too big for me to finalise alone, and I don't have
a sponsor either.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

> 19. sep. 2018 kl. 22:25 skrev Shawn Heisey <apache@elyograg.org>:
>
> On 9/19/2018 1:48 PM, oddtyme wrote:
>> I am helping implement solr for a "downloadable library" of sorts. The
>> objective is that communities without internet access will be able to access
>> a library's worth of information on a small, portable device. As such, I am
>> working within strict space constraints. What are some non-essential
>> components of solr that can be cut to conserve space for more information?
>
> For basic functionality, the entire contrib directory could probably be removed.  That's
more than half of the download right there.

> Some of the jars in solr-webapp/webapp/WEB-INF/lib can likely be removed.  Chances are
that you won't need the jars starting with "hadoop" - those are for HDFS support.  That's
another 11 MB.  If you don't need either HDFS or SolrCloud, you can remove the zookeeper jar,
and I think you can also remove the curator jars.  If you're not accessing Solr with a JDBC
driver, you won't need the calcite jars.    If you're not dealing with oriental characters
(and sometimes even if you ARE), you can probably do without lucene-analyzers-kuromoji.

> With careful code analysis, you can probably find other jars that aren't needed, but
there's not a huge amount of space saving to be gained with most of the others.