lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Setting of TMP in solr.cmd (for Windows) causes invisibility of the Solr to JDK monitoring tools
Date Sun, 02 Sep 2018 23:37:17 GMT
Hmmm, please raise a JIRA and, if possible, attach a patch that works
for you. Most of us don't have Windows machines readily available
which hobbles testing, so it's very helpful of someone can test in a
real environment.

Best,
Erick

for https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-6833 about 4 years ago:

>   set TMP=!SOLR_HOME:%EXAMPLE_DIR%=!
>   IF NOT "%TMP%"=="%SOLR_HOME%" (
>     set "SOLR_LOGS_DIR=%SOLR_HOME%\..\logs"
>     set "LOG4J_CONFIG=file:%EXAMPLE_DIR%\resources\log4j.properties"
>   )
>
> Apparently, the new variable "TMP" is just a temporary one, but by coincidence, this
variable is also important for JVM! As this system variable tells where the "hsperfdata_<username>"
directory for storing applications' monitoring data should be located. And if this is changed,
JDK tools like JVisualVM and others won't locally see the given Java application, because
they search in a different default location. Tested with Java 8u152 and Solr 6.3.0.

> So Solr authors, could you please rename that "TMP" variable to something else, or maybe
remove it completely (not sure about the latter alternative)? Hopefully it is as easy as described
above and I haven't overlooked some special meaning of that problematic lines...