lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: BUMP: Atomic updates and POST command?
Date Sun, 02 Sep 2018 04:26:52 GMT
On 8/31/2018 7:18 PM, Scott Prentice wrote:
> Yup. That does the trick! Here's my command line ..
>
>     $ ./bin/post -c core01 -format solr /home/xtech/solrtest/test1b.json
>
> I saw that "-format solr" option, but it wasn't clear what it did.
> It's still not clear to me how that changes the endpoint to allow for
> updates. But nice to see that it works!

I think the assumption with JSON-style updates and the post tool is that
you are sending "generic" json documents, not Solr-formatted json
commands.  So the post tool sends to the /update/json/docs handler,
which can handle those easily.  I believe that telling it that the
format is "solr" means that the JSON input is instructions to Solr, not
just document content.  It very likely sends it to /update/json or
/update when that's the case.

I don't know if you know this, but the bin/post command calls something
in Solr that is named SimplePostTool.  It is, as that name suggests, a
very simple tool.  Although you CAN use it in production, a large
percentage of users find that they outgrow its capabilities and must
move to writing their own indexing system.

Thanks,
Shawn